What is Google Summer of Code (GSoC) ?
Google Summer of Code is a global program focused on bringing more student developers into open source software development. More importantly Open source organizations find it prestigious for being selected by Google to be a part of this program. Yes !! Google selects organizations based on certain criteria. Not all open source organizations are selected. And organizations also find it as the best place to attract young and good talent.
For students, participating and successfully completing the project will be of great advantage in various aspects. Here are few from my experience.
- The level of exposure is very high. Student can learn a lot right from writing a proposal.
- Most of the projects involves lot of coding. Student get to Code a lot. Yea lots of Code!!
- Students will have complete ownership of their project. They get to think about design aspects and plan a lot. However, when students get stuck, mentors and community members will be ready to lend a helping hand.
- Since most mentors and students will be in different countries, they collaborate through GitHub. Students get a very good knowledge in working in a collaborated environment using a VCS.
- Most of the projects are intended to solve real world problems and most of the code that students write will be used. There will be a great satisfaction of making a valuable contribution.
- Since people from different location and culture will be a part of organization, students will learn to adapt and communicate with them effectively. So students communication skills will improve a lot.
- Students community is the best part. It is very exciting. Students from all over the world collaborate in Facebook. Yes, we have separate group for GSoC 2016 in Facebook, LinkedIn, Telegram. Its the very exciting part. Students share their experience, offer support, help and are very encouraging. Its always fun to interact with new people.
- GSoC project will add a great value to the resume. Students will code and learn a lot more than they would have done in college.
- Students need not be a great algorithmic geek. Students with good analytical and programming skills can participate and successfully complete the project.
- And last but not the least, Google always keeps you exciting. Students get a welcome package containing GSoC sticker, pen, diary and 500$ after community bonding period. And for students those who pass mid-term evaluations will get 2250$ and those who successfully complete the project will get 2750$, a certificate from Google and GSoC T-Shirt.
- Also, few organizations insist on writing weekly or monthly blog post regarding project. So Students get a good chance to start blogging.
You can find about writing a good GSoC proposal in my next post.
I’m a final year student and I am in my mid-term evaluation period (at the time of writing this post). And I’m already missing GSoC that I’ll not be able participate next year…
Originally published at https://venkat2811.blogspot.com/2016/06/what-is-google-summer-of-code-gsoc.html on June 24, 2016.